Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe, slightly tweaked to make it vegetarian, was found in the 2005 cookbook, The Best Recipes in the World.
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 garlic cloves, slices
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian fish sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 (15 ounce) can creamed corn
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped (optional)
- Over medium heat in a large saucepan, heat the oil, then add garlic & shallots, cooking 3 to 5 minutes, until softened, & stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable stock & bring to a boil. stir in fish sauce, wine & corn, & while stirring, pour in the eggs in a slow stream so they cook in thin strands.
- Garnish, if you like, with the chopped cilantro & serve immediately.
Wow! Very tasty! I loved the texture as well. I used sliced scallions in place of shallots, but that's all I changed. The fish sauce and dry sherry were lovely flavors for this soup. The chopped cilantro garnish is a must, IMO. Don't skip it. Thanx for an easy, yummy new soup recipe!
My expectation was a version of the velvet corn soup at a Chinese restaurant. This is much thinner, more like broth based egg drop soup. Thickness aside, the soup is delicious! It was super easy, uses items regularly in my pantry, and super quick to make. All of the flavors meld together to create a bowl of tasty soup. I used fish sauce and liked it with the sherry. Nothing was overpowering. I now have this in my quick lunches cookbook & will be making it again. Made for the ZWT6~ Asia. Thanks Syd! :-)
I picked this recipe for my DH on "Please Review My Recipe"
He loved it! For me who was not found of this recipe at our restraunt found this to be amazing!
I am so glad I chose to make this for my DH.