Recipe by Kiwiwife
This is adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Maddison. I love the flavor and simplicity of this soup. It originally calls for cream and mushroom stock but I have cut the fat by using 2% milk and veggie bouillon instead. Feel free to use full fat ingredients if calories are not an issue! You can fry a few mushroom slices in butter as a garnish to make it even better!
- 1 lb sliced white mushroom
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped leek (or onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs or 3 pinches dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 cups water, with
- 4 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 3⁄4 cup 2% low-fat milk
- chopped parsley
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in pot and add garlic, leeks thyme and 1 tsp salt.
- Add 1/4 cup of water cover and stew 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook 4-5 minutes more.
- Add flour cook 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add bouillon and water; bring to a boil an simmer 20 minutes.
- Puree with immersion blender till smooth.
- Add milk and stir. Season to taste.
- Garnish with parsley and fried mushrooms if desired.