Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is adapted from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Maddison. I love the flavor and simplicity of this soup. It originally calls for cream and mushroom stock but I have cut the fat by using 2% milk and veggie bouillon instead. Feel free to use full fat ingredients if calories are not an issue! You can fry a few mushroom slices in butter as a garnish to make it even better!
- Melt butter in pot and add garlic, leeks thyme and 1 tsp salt.
- Add 1/4 cup of water cover and stew 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook 4-5 minutes more.
- Add flour cook 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add bouillon and water; bring to a boil an simmer 20 minutes.
- Puree with immersion blender till smooth.
- Add milk and stir. Season to taste.
- Garnish with parsley and fried mushrooms if desired.
What a fabulous soup!! Of course, I find it hard to NOT love anything with mushrooms... I skipped the butter (just used a bit of water instead), used a medium-sized onion, and the dried thyme. I also used four cups of low-sodium vegetable broth. After blending it, I just decided to leave it as it was, without adding any milk -- all I would have done anyway was use fat-free soymilk, and it looked fine. I added some black pepper, but that's it, and I got six generous cups. Thanks for posting!!
I used skim milk and this was still nicely creamy. Also used mushroom bouillon cubes rather than vegetable. Nice flavor.
YUMMY! We LOVED this HEALTHY TASTY VEGETARIAN soup! I used the leeks, 1 percent milk and 1/4 tsp of dried thyme. Freddy Cat says it was nice visiting you!