1 hr 15 mins
Rhiannon and Matt's Note:
Super easy, healthy & satisfying is this low fat, high protein & high fibre pie....It's gluten-free too! It comes from Australian Healthy Food Guide & we really enjoyed it. I'm posting it here to share with others & to easily access it next time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- cooking spray or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 400 g no-salt-added brown lentils, rinsed & drained
- 400 g no-salt-added kidney beans, rinsed & drained
- 2 medium zucchini, grated
- 400 g no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup gluten-free vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 medium desiree potatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C.
- 2Spray a med-large saucepan with oil over a med-high heat, add onion, celery & carrot & cook, stirring, for 5 mins, until soft.
- 3Add garlic & thyme & cook for another minute.
- 4Add lentils, kidney beans, zucchini, tomatoes, stock & vinegar and bring to the boil.
- 5Reduce heat & simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- 6While this is cooking place potatoes into a microwave-safe bowl, cover with cling wrap & microwave on high for 7mins, or until very tender, then mash with the skim milk ( & a little S&P if you wish).
- 7Spoon vegetable mixture into an 8 cup capacity ovenproof dish, spread your mashed potatoes over the mix, then sprinkle with parmesan.
- 8Bake for 15-20 mins, or until golden.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Cottage Pie
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 639.2
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 270.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 38.5 g
- Sugars 11.4 g
- Protein 38.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
no-salt-added kidney beans
gluten-free vegetable stock