Recipe by SJG3483
I don't eat shellfish, and whenever I wanted to get a bowl of chowder in a restaurant, it always had shellfish in it. Here is a hearty recipe for those who prefer their corn chowder vegetarian.
Top Review by winkki
This was very simple and quick to make. It had a richness to it from the evap milk, although next time I may use half evap milk and half regular milk as that 'evaporated' flavor came through. It was a very mellow blend; I added some garlic and upped the salt and pepper by quite a bit. The kids liked it too and all had seconds, so into the menu rotation it goes! Thanks for posting. :o)
- 8 medium potatoes (give or take, depending on desired thickness)
- 2 cups water
- 2 (11 ounce) cans kernel corn (drained)
- 2 (9 ounce) cans creamed corn
- 2 (12 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Bring potatoes, water, and onion to a boil.
- Simmer on medium-high heat until potatoes are tender (8-10 miuntes) Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with bread and/or your favorite meat or shellfish product (or, if you are vegetarian, use fake shellfish).