Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Easy to make and a beautiful presentation. My favourite soup for a fancy brunch.
Make and share this Vegetarian Consomme with Lemon-Yogurt Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 1 large tomatoes
- 1 turnip
- 2 onions
- 2 green peppers
- 3 carrots
- 1 stalk celery, with leaves
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 apple
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) container plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil or 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 -3 tablespoon milk
- Do not peel the vegetables or the apple just rinse them off, cut up into big chunks and place in soup kettle.
- Add the parsley, dill, paprika, egg shells (from dumpling ingredients) and 3 quarts cold water.
- Bring to a boil, skim top, if necessary.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Strain broth through a sieve lined with a double layer of cheesecloth.
- Press down on the ingredients in the sieve with the back of a spoon to remove all liquid.
- Keep hot while preparing dumplings.
- Combine all dry dumpling ingredients in top of a sifter and sift into a large bowl.
- Lightly beat eggs with yogurt, herbs, lemon peel and juice.
- Mix with flour and add 1-3 T of milk to form moist batter.
- (it should not be too runny, but heavy enough to drop off the tip of a spoon) Bring soup to a slow, rolling boil.
- Drop dumplings from T to form 10-12 mounds spread over the surface of the soup to allow for swelling.
- Cover and cook 20 minutes.