Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This delicious crockpot recipe will leave your house smelling wonderfully upon entering after a long day of work (oven instructions are also included). This recipe comes from easyjewishrecipes.com. I left out the mushrooms because my husband and daughter do not like them.
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 1 cup dried navy beans
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled, left whole
- 1 large onion, cut into quarters
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 1 cup kamut or 1 cup barley or 1 cup wheat berries or 1 cup rice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- porcini mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup another dried fruit
- 2 tablespoons honey or 30 ml honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 raw eggs, in their shells (optional)
- Layer surface of pot with chickpeas and navy beans. Over that, place the potatoes, left whole, in the pot. If using eggs, place them among the potatoes. Add onion quarters, garlic and then the kamut or other grain selected. Drizzle oil, tamari sauce, mushrooms, raisins, honey, and each of the spices.
- Cover with water to top of pot.
- Crockpot: cook for 8-10 hours set at High. Oven: Bake covered at 250 degrees F (120 C) for 8 - 10 hours.