Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From the GI diet organisation. This vegetarian chili recipe has been spiced up in a Mexican style by adding cocoa power to the mix. Although many people find this a surprising combination, it adds a unique richness to the sauce.
- 7 ounces green beans
- 14 ounces canned kidney beans
- 15 button mushrooms
- 7 ounces sweetcorn
- 1 chili (to taste)
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried herbs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Chop the chili into small pieces and mix together with the tomatoes, tomato purée, balsamic vinegar, herbs, cocoa powder and crushed garlic.
- Use a hand mixer or a blender to make a thick sauce.
- Chop the green beans in half and lightly fry them in olive oil together with the sliced onion.
- Add the mushrooms, kidney beans and sweet corn and fry for a few minutes longer. I used chestnut mushrooms cut into quarters as my local store were all out of button mushrooms.
- Add the sauce to the pan, cover with a lid and leave to simmer for 10-15 minutes on a low heat.