Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Love chili, hate the fat? Try this vivacious veggie chili. Super simple, “dump and cook” recipe that is perfect for cool autumn nights. Can serve with corn chips, baked potatoes, cheese, etc. I make up the night before and when leaving for work just plug in my crockpot. The house smells amazing when I get home.
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 ounces veggie crumbles, tofu (optional but suggested) (optional)
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, extra hot if available
- 12 ounces beer
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 15 ounces kidney beans, canned
- 15 ounces garbanzo beans, canned
- 15 ounces black beans, canned
- In crock pot add onion, bay leaves, celery, parsnips, jalapeno, and garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, black pepper, chile powder, both canned tomatoes, as well as beer.
- Add tofu and canned beans (undrained). Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 8 hours covered.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.
I have not had a lot of practice with the crock pot, and like most of my crock pot recipes, this came out quite watery. Also, I had to reduce the chili powder and black pepper considerably, otherwise I felt it would have been too hot (I included all the cumin, jalapeno and garlic). I also included veggie crumbles. No changes other than some of the spices. Although my BF and I both liked the outcome quite a bit, I felt the recipe needed just a little more "zing." Maybe some lemon juice would have done it. Thank you! Made for the Craze-E crock pot contest:D