1/4 Photos of Vegetarian Chili(Emeril Lagasse)
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. I have changed things around just a leeetle bit! On Foodnetwork, this has 135 great reviews!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 -3 serrano peppers, stemmed, seeded, and minced (depending upon the heat level you want)
- 1 medium zucchini, stem ends trimmed and cut into small dice
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 3 ears)
- 1 1/2 lbs portobello mushrooms, stemmed, wiped clean and cubed (about 5 large)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained (or canned beans)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- cooked brown rice, accompaniment
- sour cream or strained plain yogurt, garnish
- diced avocado, garnish
- chopped green onion, garnish
- creole seasoning, : (Emeril's Essence or also referred to as Bayou Blast)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1In a large, heavy pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, bell peppers, garlic, and serrano peppers, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the zucchini, corn, and mushrooms, and cook, stirring, until soft and the vegetables give off their liquid and start to brown around the edges, about 6 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the beans, tomato sauce, and vegetable stock, stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
- 2Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Adjust the seasoning, to taste.
- 3To serve, place 1/4 cup of brown rice in the bottom of each bowl. Ladle the chili into the bowls over the rice. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and spoonful of avocado. Sprinkle with Essence and green onions and serve.
- 4Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning:.
- 5Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- 6Yield: 2/3 cup.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Chili(Emeril Lagasse)
Serving Size: 1 (3469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 336.2
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3261.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: