Recipe by ellie_
This is a great and different way to use summer garden tomatoes, zucchini and peppers -- changing the proportions and vegetables depending what is available. Recipe source: local newspaper
Top Review by Maito
This black bean chili is quite good. I used mostly red wine, with a little bit of broth. I subbed more red peppers for the mushrooms and zucchini and left out the cayenne since I was using a spicy chili powder. The nonfat sour cream is great with this. Served 3 for us.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can no-salt-added black beans, drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth or 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- salt and pepper
- low-fat cheddar cheese, garnish (optional)
- chopped onion, garnish (optional)
- nonfat sour cream or low-fat sour cream, garnish (optional)
- fresh cilantro, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot heat oil and add onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for garnishes cheese - cilantro) and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Garnish as desired.