Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Weight Watchers "make it in minutes". We usually think of chocolate as a confection or dessert. In Mexico, however, chocolate is commonly used in savory dishes, such as chicken in mole sauce, to give added depth of flavor. A combination of cocoa powder and chocolate is used in this dish to achieve a similar result.
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 (878.83 g) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 793.78 g can whole canned tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 283.49 g package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml cocoa powder
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 2.46 ml coarsley ground black pepper
- 28.34 g semisweet chocolate
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno pepper; cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, 4-5 minutes.
- Add beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cocoa powder, oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often to prevent scorching, until beginning to thicken slightly, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, stirring until melted.
I also have the Make it in Minutes cookbook, and this is one of my favorites in it. It's a great lunch, and it freezes really well. As an aside, the cookbook's recommendation is to serve this with cornbread.
This recipe needed to be tweaked. I like all the vegetables but there is hardly any liquid so I had to add some of the juice from the tomatoes back in. Also it does not have enough flavor. It doesn't say how much salt to use but i used about a tsp and then added garlic salt as well. Also, although I can't quite put my finger on it, it's missing something.
Fantastic, I have made this heaps of times now and my family of husband and 3 kids love it. My brother knew I was making a vegetarian chili one night but didn't realise this was it.... thought it had meat in it. Tastes great!!!