Recipe by spatchcock
This is a wonderful vegetarian chili recipe. I especially love the texture added by the bulgur.
- 2⁄3 cup bulgur (I prefer whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I use chicken broth instead)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery (sometimes I leave this out)
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (diced or not)
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- hot pepper sauce, to taste (e.g. tobasco)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place bulgur in a dish and cover with hot water; let stand.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; cook onion, garlic, celery, carrots& green pepper, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in tomatoes, breaking up with spoon; stir in tomate paste, chili powder, beans and worcestershire sauce.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until heated through.
- Stir in bulgur.
- Season with hot pepper sauce to taste.