Recipe by Acerast
My dear friend Georgia is a wonderful cook who prepares healthy food. She was recently featured in our local newspaper in the cooking section. This is one of three recipes that she shared. She prepared this for our lunch group when we worked together. It's good, quick, and very healthy.
Top Review by Lori Mama
Wonderful chili! My vegetarian son loved it. I left out the hot peppers and added a can of white beans along with some zucchini that needed tending to. Took it camping with us and it worked out beautifully. :)
- 59.14 ml vegetable stock
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 14.79 ml jalapeno, minced (fresh or canned)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 19.71 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml cumin, ground
- 793.78 g can diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 2 (850.48 g) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 78.07 ml bulgur (fine or medium grain)
- 118.29 ml plain yogurt, non-fat
- 78.07 ml scallion, chopped
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven, over medium heat, add the vegetable stock, onions, carrot, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder and cumin.
- Cover and simmer 5 - 7 minutes, or until the onions and carrots are soft.
- Add the tomatoes (with their juices) and the brown sugar; cover and cook for 5 minutes over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low; stir in the beans and bulgur.
- Simmer the chili, uncoverd, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve garnished with yogurt, scallions, and cilantro.