Recipe by Hectic Mom
This recipe came from the Weight Satchers Slow Good slow-cooker cookbook. I have made it with twice as many vegetables, or varying the quantities, depending on what I have available in the fridge. The can or tomatoes, I have used diced tomatoes and added tomato paste. It can be frozen and reheated.
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
- 2 yellow squash or 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄3 cup bulgur or 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the carrots, squash, yellow squash, bell pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeno, tomatoes, and oregano in the slow cooker, mix well.
- Using the back of a spoon press the top of the mix, so that it forms an even layer, and srinkle the oarson top, leaving a 1/2 inch border around the edge of the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook 4-5 hours on high, or 8-10 on low.
- Add the barbecue sauce and stir.