Recipe by brenda3cats
Made with bulgar wheat instead of hamburger, this is a taste treat! It usually takes me awhile to gather the ingredients - it may not take you as long to get ready.
- 4 cups cooked kidney beans (or any other kind you choose)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large green pepper, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 28 ounces tomatoes, chopped (reserve juice)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, for serving if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, sauté onions and garlic and green peppers in oil.
- Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, bay, & bulgur.
- Cook for two minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
- Add tomatoes and juice and sugar.
- Add beans, soy, water, salt & pepper.
- Cook on low heat for at least 30 minutes.
- Add butter just before serving.
- Serve topped with onions, if desired.
- The original recipe came from a vegetarian cookbook. I added the optional ingredients.
- I like it topped with grated sharp cheddar cheese.