Hot and Spicy
Make and share this Vegetarian Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs red kidney beans (dried)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 medium onions (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (mashed and chopped)
- 1 sweet pepper (chopped)
- 1 chili pepper (or other hot pepper, thinly sliced) (optional)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes (I use 1 or 2 quarts of canned tomatoes)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons cumin (freshly ground)
- Rinse beans carefully. (I use quick soak method). Add 16 cups water and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and cover for one hour.
- Put beans back over fire and simmer slowly.
- Saute onions, garlic, and peppers over medium heat in olive oil, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add to beans.
- Add tomatoes, paste, salt, sugar, chili powder, and cumin.
- Simmer gently for 2 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Serve with grated cheese, diced onions, and sour cream.