Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A real tasty meal that freezes very well
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 celery, , chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup grated cheese (, of your choice)
- Tabasco sauce
- Sauté celery, pepper, onion and garlic in butter.
- Cook just until vegetables are tender, but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, kidney beans, raisins, vinegar and seasonnings.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Cook uncovered for another 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Garnish each serving with grated cheese.
- You can add a couple drops of tabasco.
- It can also be served on a bed of rice or pasta.
Thanks for the recipe.
Very tasty! The raisins do add a nice sweetness, though you hardly notice that they're there otherwise. Mine came out very thick. I like it that way, but others might want to add water early on. It's not very spicy (without the tabasco, at least).
It was delicious, but go easy on the sultanas, I added \