Recipe by Bec
If you want, add 2 teaspooons chopped green chilies in place of the jalapenos. This is great when served with corn muffins or corn dumplings.
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups bell peppers, diced
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon basil
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add bell peppers and jalapenos (or chopped green chilies), saute until softened.
- Add chili powder, cumin and basil; heat for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes with juice to the pan, along with broth or water and salsa- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add beans and corn- Simmer for 8 minutes.