Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A spicy and flavorful recipe I created through experimentation based on the Fantastic Foods Vegetarian Chili starter.
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 large sweet white onions (approx 1 1/2 lbs) or 2 large red onions (approx 1 1/2 lbs)
- 3 cups water
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) packages Fantastic Foods vegetarian chili mix
- 2 (19 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1 (13 ounce) can hunts tomato paste
- 1 fresh red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 fresh carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk fresh celery, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms (or equivalent amount of fresh mushrooms)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (or equivalent amount of fresh tomato)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon paprika (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon black pepper (or to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- Mince or pulverize garlic.
- Chop onions.
- Chop half of the onion into small (1 cm by 1 cm) square pieces.
- Chop the other half into strips (1/2 cm by 8 cm).
- This is so you get aesthetically pleasing "strips" of onion in the chili.
- Chop the other fresh vegetables into small pieces.
- Saute (covered) the onions, garlic and carrots on medium heat for about three minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables and continue to saute until the onions are just starting to soften, but before they become soft (about five minutes).
- Add the water and the Vegetarian Chili Mix (entire boxes) and the beans.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add canned vegetables and tomato paste.
- Add spices to taste and stir thoroughly.
- Simmer on very low heat for at least 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool to warm before serving.
- Tastes best if re-heated.
- Serve with grated"sharp" cheddar cheese and generously buttered bread.
This was good, but extremely spicy. I dunno if I messed up & added too much cayenne or chili pepper, but if I make it again I'll probably add just a little bit of those spices and then add more to taste once it's made.
Mushrooms in chili is so nasty. Otherwise it's pretty good.
Wow! What a kick! This chili is to die for, and it''s SOOOOOO healthy too.