Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Hearty dinner dish -- no meat substitutes, just good food. Serve with a green salad and corn bread. Add jalapenos if you like it lively.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- Oven method:.
- In a deep metal oven-proof pan, saute onion and garlic in the oil over medium low heat.
- Add other ingredients, heat to a boil, cover and put in a slow (275F) oven for 4 hours.
- Check and stir occasionaly, adding more water if necessary.
- Saute onion and garlic in a saucepan, as above.
- Add to the rest of the ingredients in a crockpot or slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours; check and stir occasionally.
- Adjust salt and other seasonings to taste and serve.
This is a temporary review until my Hubby who loved this can update it. This was an easy nutritious dish. My Hubby said it was like "tribal campire mush" -which is a good thing. I didn't care so much for the texture and seasoning and would have preferred it to be more complex. Made for Spring PAC '08.
I added an extra can of tomatoes mixed w/ garlic & onion, chili powder, crushed red chili peppers and one diced green pepper cooked in olive oil and garlic. I topped with fat free sour cream and reduced fat Mexican cheese. It hit the spot for chili while watching a game. I'll prepare this chili again!