Aric Ross's Note:
A great Vegetarian alternative for a Southern specialty. Serve it with biscuits, gravy, and mashed potatoes for a cruelty-free, tummy pleasing en tree.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the mock chicken into small, round steaks.
- 2Pour 1/2 cup of the flour into a shallow dish.
- 3Pour 1/2 cup of the flour into a second shallow dish and add the cornmeal, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- 4Pour the soy milk into a third shallow dish.
- 5Dip the steaks into the soy milk and then into the plain flour.
- 6Dip into the soy milk again and then into the seasoned flour and cornmeal mixture.
- 7Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to the heated skillet and cook 3 “steaks” at a time.
- 8Brown for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until thoroughly cooked.
- 9Transfer to a serving platter.
- 10Repeat with the remaining oil and steaks.
- 11Add the remaining flour to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- 12Whisk in the stock and the parsley and season with the salt and pepper.
- 13Whisk the nondairy cream into the gravy.
- 14Remove from the heat when bubbling.
- 15Serve with warm biscuits topped with the gravy.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian "chicken" Fried Steak
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 304.4
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 603.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian chicken substitute