Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great Vegetarian alternative for a Southern specialty. Serve it with biscuits, gravy, and mashed potatoes for a cruelty-free, tummy pleasing en tree.
- 14 ounces vegetarian chicken substitute (Worthington's Chickette)
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup plain soymilk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup soy cream
- Slice the mock chicken into small, round steaks.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the flour into a shallow dish.
- Pour 1/2 cup of the flour into a second shallow dish and add the cornmeal, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the soy milk into a third shallow dish.
- Dip the steaks into the soy milk and then into the plain flour.
- Dip into the soy milk again and then into the seasoned flour and cornmeal mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to the heated skillet and cook 3 “steaks” at a time.
- Brown for approximately 2 minutes on each side or until thoroughly cooked.
- Transfer to a serving platter.
- Repeat with the remaining oil and steaks.
- Add the remaining flour to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the stock and the parsley and season with the salt and pepper.
- Whisk the nondairy cream into the gravy.
- Remove from the heat when bubbling.
- Serve with warm biscuits topped with the gravy.