Recipe by Sharon123
I took the recipe from Guy Fieri's new cookbookGuy Fieri Food, and made it vegetarian, tweeking it just a leetle bit. So yummy! If you wanted to, you could substitute the vegetarian chicken with mushrooms, tofu or other vegs. Enjoy!!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced sweet onion (red or other sweet)
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced bamboo shoot (I didn't have so used more celery)
- 1⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups diced vegetarian chicken (I used Fry Chik or use real chicken if you like )
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce (I used part soy part teriyaki sauce)
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1 cup cabbage, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 quart canola oil (I used about 1/2 inch of oil and sauteed them)
- 15 egg roll wraps
- 2 Hass avocadoes, pitted, peeled, sliced into 12 pieces each
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk (I used soy milk)
- sweet chili sauce (I used Thai sweet chli sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet over high heat, heat the 2 tbls. oil. Cook the onion and bell pepper for 2 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the ginger, garlic, bamboo shoots, celery, and "chicken". Reduce the heat to medium high, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the soy sauce, stir well, and set aside to cool. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, mix the cabbage, carrots, and the warm chicken mixture.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil(I actually used corn oil) to 350*F. The oil needs to be deep enough to keep the egg rolls from touching the bottom of the pan; add more oil if needed. Prepare a baking sheet with a cooling rack on top. (I used paper towels).
- To create the egg rolls, lay an egg roll wrapper on your work surface with one corner facing you. Place about 1/3 cup of the mixture on the wrapper and place 2 pieces of avocado on top. Whisk together the egg and milk for the egg wash. Fold the top corner down over the filling, then fold the two side corners over the filling. Brush some of the egg wash on the top corner. Roll the egg roll upward firmly, taking care not to tear the wrapper. Each egg roll should be 4-5 inches long. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Dredge each egg roll in the egg wash, allowing the excess to drip off. Fry the egg rolls, 3 at a time, until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Drain on the cooling rack( I actually sauteed in 1/2" oil and used paper towels). Slice the egg rolls on the diagonal. Serve with sweet chili sauce.