Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I use hearts of palm to mimic octopus rings. it's really pretty (even though i always hated octopus). It requires no cooking and all the flavor. Amounts vary with size of vegetables.
- 1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm, cut in rings
- 2 large tomatoes, diced (any color)
- 1⁄2 small red onion, diced
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, diced (or to taste)
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- avocado (optional)
- cucumber (optional)
- green bell pepper (optional)
- Cut hearts of palm in circles and pop out the middle. (i keep the middle in the dish but the little loops look like octopus).
- Chop everything else and mix together.
- Serve in martini or margarita glasses with a little cilantro and fresh black pepper on top.
I made this recipe fro mostly fresh veggies, and it was AWESOME! Can't wait to make it again! I used red pepper, which made it quite colorful! I chopped up a small piece of jalapeno pepper, added it to the squeezed lime juice in a small bowl, then drained the liquid into the cut-up vegs. So it was just a wee bit spicy, but not overpowering.
Like another reviewer, I added all of the optional ingredients. Since I wanted to keep the leftovers around for a few days I seeded the tomatoes and cucumber. My limes were pretty dry so I juiced 1/2 a lemon and tossed the chopped avocado with it before mixing so the avocado didn't go brown. I had an orange bell pepper so I used that instead of green; it added to the pretty colors of this dish. Absolutely LOVED this and will be making it weekly throughout the summer as a great low-cal side for grilled meats!
I made this dish for a New Year's Eve party and again for a New Year's Day party. It was a hit at both. The second time I made it without jalapenos because the hostess can't eat any spicy peppers. It was still good, but I did double the onion to compensate for the missing jalapenos. I served it with good quality tortilla chips. I added this recipe to my cookbook because I'll be making it again!