Recipe by Nikkei
Very similar taste to "real" Caesar salad without any meat or anchovies. The saltiness of the capers replaces the anchovies.
- 1 cos lettuce
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons capers packed in salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 1 slice imitation bacon (soy bacon)
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 pinch black pepper
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C Remove crusts from bread and slice into cubes. Lightly spray with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning - peri peri powder works well. Bake until lightly browned and crisp. Meanwhile, boil eggs until medium cooked - the yolks should be slightly soft without being too runny. Cool then cut into quarters lengthways. Rinse and drain capers thoroughly to remove excess salt. Cook soy bacon according to directions, then slice into strips.
- Blend the mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill and pepper.
- Combine salad ingredients, including dressing, and toss lightly to combine.
- Use salted capers rather than capers in vinegar or brine for a firmer texture. They're harder to find, but well worth it!