I adapted the soup from the "Cabbage soup diet" to make it more flavourful and also vegetarian. It's filling, good, low in calories and fat, and is a great winter warm up.
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium head cabbage, chopped
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 (56 ounce) can tomato juice
- 3 sweet bell peppers, yellow, red, orange, diced
- 8 -10 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup green beans (optional)
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Place everything in a large pot, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender.