2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Great in the fall when cabbage and tomatoes are plentiful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup rice (your preference, no instant)
- 3/4 cup green lentil
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian chicken soup mix
- 2 tablespoons dried herbs (garlic, sundried tomatoes, oregano, basil)
- 1 diced onion
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 8 -10 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1Boil cabbage in deep pot, removing tender leaves and cool in cold water, and drain.
- 2Bring water, margarine and soup mix to a boil.
- 3add rice, lentils, carrot, onion and herbs.
- 4stir and cover, turning down heat to low until liquid is absorbed (approx. 30 minutes).
- 5Blanch (using hot cabbage water)and peel tomatoes.
- 6Blend tomatos with sugar, salt and pepper.
- 7Cover bottom of baking dish with 1/4 of tomato mixture.
- 8Wrap rice mixture in cabbage leaves, place rolls in a row in baking dish and cover with the rest of the tomato mixture.
- 9Cover with leftover cabbage leaves and bake in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven for 1 hour or until bubbly and top cabbage leaves are charred.
- 10Let rest for 20 minutes and removed top leaves before serving.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (523 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.8
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 685.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.7 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 18.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetarian chicken soup mix