Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Great in the fall when cabbage and tomatoes are plentiful.
Make and share this Vegetarian Cabbage Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head cabbage
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 cup rice (your preference, no instant)
- 3⁄4 cup green lentil
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian chicken soup mix
- 2 tablespoons dried herbs (garlic, sundried tomatoes, oregano, basil)
- 1 diced onion
- 1 carrot (grated)
- 8 -10 tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Boil cabbage in deep pot, removing tender leaves and cool in cold water, and drain.
- Bring water, margarine and soup mix to a boil.
- add rice, lentils, carrot, onion and herbs.
- stir and cover, turning down heat to low until liquid is absorbed (approx. 30 minutes).
- Blanch (using hot cabbage water)and peel tomatoes.
- Blend tomatos with sugar, salt and pepper.
- Cover bottom of baking dish with 1/4 of tomato mixture.
- Wrap rice mixture in cabbage leaves, place rolls in a row in baking dish and cover with the rest of the tomato mixture.
- Cover with leftover cabbage leaves and bake in a pre-heated 350 degrees oven for 1 hour or until bubbly and top cabbage leaves are charred.
- Let rest for 20 minutes and removed top leaves before serving.
I'm not going to give this any stars because I went into this not know what cabbage rolls taste like, and they turned out to be something I don't care for, but I don't blame the recipe for that. It was very time consuming though.