Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am trying out several of the ready made vegetarian meat substitutes and this casserole is a result of my trial by fire! Play with the ingredients add more heat, garlic or whatever your favorite herbs and spices are. I look at this recipe as a stepping stone to other recipes.The fried onions that I use in the recipe for the topping are the prepared ones - One brand is French's but you may also buy them in Oriental markets as fried red onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups green cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 0.5 (340 g) package vegetarian ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mushroom, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup tomatoes, canned, diced
- 1⁄4 cup salsa
- 1⁄2 cup dry fried onions
- season with salt & pepper
- Place half the cabbage on the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish.
- Mix the garlic with the ground round.
- Then layer the veggie ground round, rice,carrot,onion, mushroom, remaining half of the cabbage.
- Top with the tomato/salsa.
- Cover and bake in 350 oven for 1 hour.
- Top with the fried onions and serve.
I made this recipe with my homemade veggie crumbles and it was very good. Next time I would leave off the fried onions though. I didn't think they added much to the final product.