1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Burritos
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Provides the perfect protein combination....beans and corn. This is a recipe from the Moosewood Restaurant. (I've updated the # of servings...I agree with Longhorm Mama....1 burrito is reasonable serving..thanks for the input) The filling also freezes well. I make a big batch and freeze the filling in ziploc bags and then assemble and bake when needed.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 cups cooked pinto beans (or kidney beans)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 1/3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 wheat flour tortillas
- 1Drain the cooked beans and save the liquid.
- 2Saute the garlic and onions in oil for several minutes until onions are translucent.
- 3Add the peppers and all of the spices and continue to saute until peppers are tender.
- 4Cover the vegetables, remove from heat, and set aside.
- 5Mash the beans with a potato masher adding enough of the reserved liquid to reach the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- 6Mix the mashed beans, vegetables, corn, olives, and cheese. Salt to taste.
- 7Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 8Place each tortilla flat on the counter.
- 9Spoon about 1/2 - 3/4 cup bean mixture onto the tortilla half closest to you.
- 10Roll the tortillas from the bottom up, putting pressure on the fililng so that it will be evenly distributed and will reach the open edges of the rolled tortilla.
- 11Place the burritos, rolled edge down in an oiled baking pan.
- 12Brush will oil, cover with a damp cottom cloth, and bake, tightly covered with foil for 45 minutes.
- 13Uncover the pan, remove the cloth, sprinkle with additional grated cheese and bake 5 more minutes.
- 14Serve the burritos topped with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Burritos
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.5
- Calories from Fat 175
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 33.0 mg
- Sodium 389.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 16.3 g