Recipe by bggio
This is a great alternative to meatloaf or burgers. You may need to play with the volume of bread crumb/oat/wheat germ to get desired consistency for forming into burgers. Only thing to remember is this timely to make from dried beans. It tastes great and I am not vegetarian.
Top Review by karen.coughlin
I made this recipe as burgers and they were GREAT! The best veggie burgers ever. I have to admit I found it to bit alot of work, but it was worth it.I freezed the left overs and they are great to have on hand. Next time I would make 2 or 3 batches and then freeze them
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 medium carrots
- 59.14 ml dry chickpeas
- 59.14 ml dry green lentils
- 59.14 ml dried red kidney beans
- 59.14 ml mushroom, chopped (optional)
- 1 small summer squash, shredded
- 9.85 ml olive oil
- 118.29 ml rolled oats
- 59.14 ml wheat germ
- 59.14 ml brown rice
- 118.29 ml breadcrumbs
- 59.14 ml fresh cilantro or 59.14 ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten dependent on mixture thickness
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- all-purpose flour, for burger not needed for loaf
Directions See How It's Made
- In a skillet heat olive oil over medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook until onion has softened, about 2 minutes. Add squash carrots and toss until tender. Boil rice until tender.
- Add rice and chick pea, lentil mushroom to the skillet. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Blend lightly in a food processor add cilantro soy sauce and egg.
- Add wheat germ, bread crumb and rolled oats, salt and pepper pulse in blender and refrigerate for 1 hour; or blend well by hand.
- Put a little flour on a large plate. Make desired size round diameter patties with cooled veggie mixture. Dip both sides of patties in the flour. Refrigerate patties for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place patties on a greased broiling pan. Broil for 5 minutes on each side. Or lightly fry in a pan.
- Serve on a toasted hamburger bun with all the fixings, if desired.
- Adjust amount of bread – oats – wheat germ to your tastes or for desired consistency for either burger or loaf.
- I like to add an additional 2 cloves of garlic fresh after the cooking while blending the bread crumbs.
- Beans, lentil and chick peas can be of the canned variety this cuts down the preparation time but dried taste better. You need to soak and boil for a while 2-3 hours if you use dried beans boil in order chick peas ½ hour later add red beans and in the last half hour add the lentil.
- For the loaf cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes after the first ½ hour of cooking you add a small can of stewed tomatoes on top of the loaf. A ½ teaspoon of hot pepper flakes blended on in the stewed tomatoes if you like a little spice.