1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Burgers or Loaf
1 hr 30 mins
Chef #457852 - bggio's Note:
This is a great alternative to meatloaf or burgers. You may need to play with the volume of bread crumb/oat/wheat germ to get desired consistency for forming into burgers. Only thing to remember is this timely to make from dried beans. It tastes great and I am not vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/4 cup dry chickpeas
- 1/4 cup dry green lentils
- 1/4 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1/4 cup mushroom, chopped (optional)
- 1 small summer squash, shredded
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten dependent on mixture thickness
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- all-purpose flour, for burger not needed for loaf
- 1In a skillet heat olive oil over medium heat; add onion and garlic and cook until onion has softened, about 2 minutes. Add squash carrots and toss until tender. Boil rice until tender.
- 2Add rice and chick pea, lentil mushroom to the skillet. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- 3Blend lightly in a food processor add cilantro soy sauce and egg.
- 4Add wheat germ, bread crumb and rolled oats, salt and pepper pulse in blender and refrigerate for 1 hour; or blend well by hand.
- 5Put a little flour on a large plate. Make desired size round diameter patties with cooled veggie mixture. Dip both sides of patties in the flour. Refrigerate patties for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 6Place patties on a greased broiling pan. Broil for 5 minutes on each side. Or lightly fry in a pan.
- 7Serve on a toasted hamburger bun with all the fixings, if desired.
- 8Adjust amount of bread – oats – wheat germ to your tastes or for desired consistency for either burger or loaf.
- 9I like to add an additional 2 cloves of garlic fresh after the cooking while blending the bread crumbs.
- 10Beans, lentil and chick peas can be of the canned variety this cuts down the preparation time but dried taste better. You need to soak and boil for a while 2-3 hours if you use dried beans boil in order chick peas ½ hour later add red beans and in the last half hour add the lentil.
- 11For the loaf cook at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes after the first ½ hour of cooking you add a small can of stewed tomatoes on top of the loaf. A ½ teaspoon of hot pepper flakes blended on in the stewed tomatoes if you like a little spice.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Burgers or Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 177.1
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 354.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 8.7 g