Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
I saw this recipe in a magazine and tried it and they were so delicious. i asked my kids after supper that if they had a choice to go out for burgers or eat these burgers at home which they would choose. They all chose these vegetarian burgers! They are really yummy! Serve with the cucumber sour cream sauce.
- 1 cup buckwheat groats (kasha, whole granulation)
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat groats, finely ground (kasha)
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 kirby cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Put regular buckwheat in a dry saucepan and stir about 3 minutes until toasted.
- Add broth, tomato juice, and oil, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 10 minutes (until all the liquid is absorbed). Cool.
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, red bell pepper, onion, celery eggs and ketchup.
- Stir in the cooled buckwheat (kasha).
- Form mixture into patties. Coat on both sides with fine ground buckwheat/kasha (just put buckwheat/kasha in food processor and chop till fine). Chill for about a half hour in fridge.
- Fry in non stick skillet in about 4 tablespoons of oil. Cook until crisp and golden, about 4 minutes each side.
- Combine all the ingredients of the cucumber sauce.
- Serve the patties with a slice of tomato and a dollop of the cucumber sauce.