Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Better than frozen, full of great stuff.
Make and share this Vegetarian Burger (Volumetrics) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur, uncooked
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced walnuts
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzos)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 3⁄4 cup finely grated carrot
- 1⁄4 cup minced green onion
- 4 (1 1/2 ounce) hamburger buns
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 20 thin slices cucumbers
- 4 thin slices onions
- Combine bulghur and water in a small bowl, let stand 30 minutes or until water is absorbed and bulghur is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the walnuts and saute 3-4 minutes or until fragrant. Stir in cumin and saute one more minute. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Place the chickpeas. flour, egg white, salt, and red pepper in the work bowl of a food processor and process until smooth. Add this mixture to the walnuts in the large bowl. Add the plumped bulghur, spinach, carrot, and green onion; mix well.
- Shape into four 3/4-inch thick patties and grill or broil patties on a rack coated with cooking spray until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side.Serve on the buns with lettuce, tomato, and cucumber with a tablespoon of Creamy Cucumber Ranch Dressing, Recipe #500415 (not vegan), or 2 teaspoons mustard or ketchup.