Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got the idea from a recipe at Mr.Breakfast, but added some things of my own! It's pretty quick and delicious! Much better than cereal and milk again... About the "Mexican cheese", my local grocery store sells a bag that's a mix of three different cheeses, it's already shredded! They call it Mexican for some reason, and I always use it for this sort of thing.
- 1 stalk green onion
- 1⁄4 of a tomatoes
- 2 slices vegetarian ham (I used Lightlife Smart Deli Ham)
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 2 big tortillas
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 and a half cups mexican shredded cheese
- Slice the onions, tomatoes, broccoli and veggie ham into small pieces. Mix in the vegetable oil.
- Heat a frying pan to medium-high. Add the vegetable mixture.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Add to pan with the veggie mix when the broccoli is a little golden. Mix up to get a scrambled egg texture!
- Once the eggs look done, put this mixture in a bowl.
- Clean your frying pan (or get a new one) and rub 1 teaspoon of margarine around in it. Once it melts, put one tortilla in it, and spread some of the shredded cheese on top of it.
- Once the cheese starts to get a bit melty, spread the egg/veggie mixture you've set aside on top of it. Add the rest of the cheese on top of this, and then put the other tortilla on top!
- Spread the rest of the margarine on the top of the new tortilla, and check the bottom one to see if it's golden-brown. If it is, flip the quesadilla over with a spatula and heat the other side until that's golden-brown!
- Put on a plate, cut into slices, and serve!
Yummmmm....Split this with my husband before heading out to shovel snow and it was the perfect meal to keep up energized without feeling too full. I didn't think one egg would be enough it was. Used a little less cheese and topped with a little salsa. Thanks for posting the delicious keeper recipe.
Terrific breakfast quesadilla! I don't care for onions so left them out. I used low-fat whole wheat tortillas and lowfat mexican cheese blend; my tortillas were small so I only needed about half of the cheese specified. Loved the tomato/broccoli combination in these. Flavorful and filling - thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2011