Recipe by CgyVegan
This recipe comes from the Serendipity Inn in Wisconsin. This is an excellent dish for breakfast, brunch or even dinner. You make everything the day before and bake just before serving the next day. Any seasonal vegetables can be used in these burritos. These are wonderful served with salsa and sour cream.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 2 inch thick slices
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 3⁄4 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 6 (8 inch) flour tortillas, 8 inches in diameter
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups skim milk or 2 cups soymilk
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and pepper 5 minutes, or until tender. Add garlic, and cook 2 minutes more. Stir in spinach, dill, salt and pepper; cover and cook 5 minutes, or until spinach has completely thawed. Season with pepper sauce, if desired, and stir in 3/4 cup shredded cheese.
- Spoon 1/3 cup of spinach/veggie mixture down the centre of each tortilla. Roll tortilla tightly, and place seal side down in baking dish. Whisk together eggs, milk, flour and mustard powder, and pour over tortillas. Cover dish with foil, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg. F.
- Bake burritos 45 minutes, or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese, and bake 5 minutes more, or until cheese has melted and begins to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving with salsa and sour cream.