2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 20 mins
I have been looking for a wonderful borscht recipe and this one looks delightful! From Cooking Live.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb white mushroom, trimmed,wiped clean,and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 10 small beets or 7 -8 medium beets, with greens,peeled,quartered,and cut across into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut across into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and cut across into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 small celery root or 1/2 large celery root, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 1/2 lbs mashing potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 small green cabbage, cored and shredded (about 3/4 pound)
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed,peeled,and very finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 bunch dill, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- coarsely chopped dill
- sour cream
- 1Soak the dried mushrooms in 1 cup hot water for 15 minutes.
- 2Drain, reserving the liquid, and squeeze out the excess liquid.
- 3Strain all the soaking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve.
- 4Reserve the liquid (there should be 1 cup) and the mushrooms separately.
- 5In a tall narrow stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 6Stir in the fresh mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes.
- 7Stir in the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.
- 8Add the beets, carrots, parsnip, celery root, 8 cups water, and the mushroom soaking liquid.
- 9bring to a boil.
- 10Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 11Stir in the potatoes, cabbage, garlic, and, if using, the beet greens.
- 12Dissolve the tomato paste in 1/2 cup of the liquid and stir back into soup.
- 13Return to a boil.
- 14Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 15Stir in the reconstituted mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender.
- 16Remove from the heat.
- 17Stir in the dill, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- 18Pass bowls of chopped dill and sour cream at the table and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Russian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Russian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Borscht
Serving Size: 1 (294 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.5
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1867.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 16.2 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: