Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
A tradditional Ukrainian soup that's also popular in other Eastern European countries. This vegetarian version came from a cooking show "From Russia with Love" by the Micheff Sisters. Serve hot with some fresh whole wheat or rye bread.
- 8 cups water
- 6 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 medium beet, grated
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked beans, any kind
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chicken-flavored vegetarian seasoning (I use Mckays vegan chicken style seasoning) (optional)
- Place cabbage and water into a large soup pot. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Add diced potatoes and cook another ten minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Sauté onion, garlic, carrots, beets and red pepper in oil for 2 - 3 minutes, then add 3 tablespoons water, ketchup, dill, parsley and beans.
- Simmer for five minutes, then add to the cabbage and potatoes. Add bay leaf and salt to taste.
Rating is based on my final product with additions. I agree with the previous reviewer that the soup lacks flavour. However, it's easily fixable. I added the juice of one lemon, loads of fresh dill and some additional salt. We really enjoyed the soup after that. It was super healthy and really satisfying. Thanks Enjolinfam! Made for ZWT 4.
I really wanted to like this more as it is so healthy!! It is a WW dream. I felt it lacked flavour and I am guessing the flavour I may be looking for comes from those nice soup bones. ;+) I did really enjoy the beans in it which is different from any other Borsch I have had. I used Navy beans. I made this for ZWT4. Thanks for sharing your recipe.