Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Veggie additions are added to an already prepared marinara sauce for a healthy thick rich delicious vegetarian bolognese sauce, the portobello mushroom takes the place of ground beef, all amounts may be doubled --- this sauce tastes even better the next day --- using a good-quality marinara sauce will only improve the flavor :)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced (about 1/4-inch squares)
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large portabella mushroom cap, finely chopped (or use 2 small caps)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers to release the flavor)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional or adjust to suit heat level)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 3⁄4-1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (26 ounce) jarprepared fat free marinara sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat about 3 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, diced carrots, celery, both bell peppers, chopped portobello mushroom, dried oregano and crushed red pepper flakes; cook stirring for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add in wine and prepared marinara sauce, bring to a simmer stirring.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 35-40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Season sauce with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.