Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is one of the best (and easiest) black bean soups I've ever had!
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can vegetable broth, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup potato, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a saucepan, bring the onion, garlic and 1/4 cup broth to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 6-8 minutes or until onion it tender.
- Stir in beans, potato, thyme, cumin, and broth; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and hot pepper sauce; heat through.
- Sprinkle with green onion.
We're cheap, poor, creative, picky and hungry. And vegetarian. This worked. Moreover, my gourmand husband said this was the best thing I've made in 22 years. It's filling but double the recipe. They'll want more. Sour creme's a good touch. Nice job, you guys!
I made this as written--almost. We like our soups to be a little "soupier" so I added another cup of diced potatoes and a second can of vegetable broth. I also did my usual method of sauteing the pressed garlic and onions in a touch of oil till soft, then added the broth, etc. My DH has enjoyed it over the weekend while I was at work and asked that I make it again...soon. Very easy and very tasty. A great combination for my hectic schedule. Thanks Sweety.
I can never have enough vegetarian soup recipes in my collection and this is a very welcome addition. This was really easy to put together and tasted good too. I did have to add some extra broth to keep it going dry but I have had this trouble with black bean soups before and I am really starting to think there is something different about black beans I get in the UK and those in the States. So, that has nothing to do with your recipe, I am sure and wasn't a very big deal. I am a bit of a spice wimp but my hubby likes it hot. So, I didn't add the hot sauce to the big pot but instead gave him the bottle to put it in for himself. I topped mine with some low fat sour cream and some banana chillies. Made for PAC Fall 2008.