Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A hearty bean/vegetable soup--even if you're not a vegetarian. You could save time and use canned beans instead of dried.
- 2 cups dried black beans
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 10 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- Soak beans overnight; drain.
- In a large soup pot, heat oil. Add in garlic, onion, red peppers, celery, celery leaves and carrots. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until veggies start to soften.
- Add water, bay leaves, canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, cumin, oregano and cilantro. Bring to a boil. Add drained black beans.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for about 2 hours or until beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaves and serve.
Fabulous flavorful soup! I made this just as described except we topped it with a spoonful of sour cream.
I used only eight cups of liquid (4 cups of organic vegetable broth and 4 cups of water). The consistency was just right after I food processed it. I needed to add extra salt to flavor the soup more. I loved the soup and I also gave this soup to my friends who was undergoing cancer treatment.
FABULOUS VEGAN NUTRITIOUS DELICIOUS! I made a half recipe as stated but did a quick soak for the black beans by bringing them to a boil turning off the heat and soaking for 3 hours. This recipe was perfect and satisfying all it needed was a bit more salt at the end. Half a recipe was 3 large servings for us. Made for the Zaar Stars tag game.