Recipe by Bergy
This recipe uses Mexican flavored vegetarian Hamburger and it is very good. You may cook your own black beans but to simplify the recipe I used a 16oz can of black beans. Be inventive and add your own choice of vegetables. Your shells should be heated but watch they burn very quickly. I like to put everything on the table and let folks build their own so the shells stay crisp and the ingredients hot. If you are making Tostados add more black beans , burger etc to the shell because 1 Tostado is a whole meal. This recipe makes 6 Tacos or 4 Tostados
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeds & membrane removed, finely chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (340 g) package Mexican vegetarian ground meat substitute
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups soy cheese, shredded
- 1 cup salsa (your favorite)
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream (optional)
- 2 avocados (optional)
- 6 taco shells or 6 tostado shells
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium heat fry the garlic & peppers in the olive oil for 3 minutes.
- Add drained beans (reserve juice) and mash them, mixing in the peppers & garlic,.
- Add bean juice as needed for a nice consistency. Mix well & stir frequently.
- Heat the vegetarian hambugerr in a skillet over medium heat, stir frequently.
- When the beans are ready, the burger heated through assemble your tacos.
- Put 3 tbsp of beans in the bottom of the shell, add 3 tbsp burger, then the lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and salsa.
- Top with sour cream and sliced Avocado (if using) or serve your avocado on the side.