Recipe by Abby Girl
I got this recipe from our local paper and was quite intrigued with the roasted corn and the fact that it had grape juice. I have been trying to incorporate more beans into our diet and I think I succeeded with this recipe. The spices are a guideline....I did use a bit more and added hot pepper sauce for a bit more kick!
- 2 cups frozen blackened corn or 2 cups fresh corn
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (19 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed
- 28 ounces plum tomatoes
- 1 cup grape juice
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups roasted red peppers (3 peppers ~or~ bottled red peppers)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- To blacken corn, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add corn and saute until corn begins to blacken, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil (adding more if needed), onion and sweet potato. Saute for 5 minutes or until onion is golden and sweet potato is softened.
- Add garlic, beans, tomatoes, grape juice, tomato paste, red peppers, blackened corn, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano and basil. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Note: This can be served with over brown rice or with corn bread.