Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This chili is scented with orange and cumin. It is very easy to make and can be done in 30 minutes for less than $10, making it perfect for a weeknight meal. From "Bon Appetite" magazine.
- 2 oranges
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 473.18 ml onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 19.71 ml chili powder
- 19.71 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml cinnamon
- 3 (1275.72 g) can black beans, not drained
- 2 (793.78 g) can diced tomatoes
- hot pepper sauce
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream or plain yogurt, for serving
- fresh cilantro, for serving
- Grate oranges so that you have 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest; juice both oranges.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and cook onions until they start to soften, about 5 minutes; add garlic and spices and stir well.
- Stir in beans, tomatoes, half the orange juice simmer until heated through and the flavors blend, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the orange zest and remaining orange juice; season with hot sauce, salt and pepper.
- Ladle into serving bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, or plain yogurt, and cilantro, if desired.