Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I serve this with a cheddar cornbread ring.
Make and share this Vegetarian Black Bean Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook garlic, onion, carrot, jalapeno, and green pepper, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, and rosemary. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt.
- Serve garnished with: grated cucumber, sour cream or plain yogurt, grated cheddar cheese.
Great chili for being vegetarian. I subbed mushrooms for the carrots and Italian seasoning for the rosemary. I was in too much of a hurry, so I only simmered for 10 minutes rather than 20 minutes. I garnished with grated cheddar cheese.
This was pretty good,but it seemed like it was missing just a little something. I didn't have any rosemary on hand, maybe that would give it a little added flavor. I tried making this a second time, and it was awesome! The best chili I have ever had. Last time, I removed all of the seeds from the jalapeno pepper because I thought it would be too hot. This time I put all of it in, and it really added that extra kick I was looking for! It was just perfect.