Recipe by SweetySJD
This is such a good vegetarian chili recipe. It goes well with cornbread.
Top Review by Pockets1020
This is a great recipe. I did make some changes based on the ingredients I had on hand. (e.g. I used dried beans. After cooking them, I used some of the bean juice in the chili.)
We had enought left over to freeze. It was just as good after freezing and reheating. Thanks!
- 2 cups sweet onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 large yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, saute onions in oil for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, peppers, and garlic; saute 5-6 minutes, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes, until heated through.