1/1 Photo of Vegetarian Beans and Rice
1 hr 30 mins
Mmmm Tasty's Note:
This is actually a recipe my dad makes for dinner, and it's one of my favorites. He comes up with wonderful recipes off the top of his head, and this Mexican-inspired one is one of the best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, chopped small
- 1 large green pepper, chopped small
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, stems separated from leaves and chopped stems finely, leaves reserved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 1 (26 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 cup commercial mild salsa (Price Chopper)
- 1 lime, juice of
- hot sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups dry rice, cooked to yield 3 cups
- 1In a cast iron or other heavy pot with a cover that can go from stovetop to oven, saute onion, green pepper and cilantro stems on high, stirring constantly, until onion becomes translucent.
- 2Add oregano, cumin, chili powder and bay leaves and saute another minute.
- 3Add garlic and salt, saute briefly.
- 4Add a couple of tablespoons of water to stop garlic from cooking.
- 5Immediately add beans and salsa, lime juice and hot sauce, and lower heat to medium, stirring frequently.
- 6When mixture begins bubbling, lower heat again, until just simmering. Stir occasionally and simmer for about ½ hour.
- 7You may have to add a little water from time to time if mixture begins to dry out.
- 8Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 9Chop reserved cilantro leaves.
- 10Add ½ of the cilantro leaves, the cooked rice and the sour cream. Stir to mix evenly throughout the beans.
- 11Cover and bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- 12Remove from oven and stir in the other ½ of the reserved cilantro leaves.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Vegetarian Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.8
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 5.6 mg
- Sodium 288.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 16.2 g