Recipe by Juliawiggins
Vegetarian Comfort Food for the Crockpot. My vegetarian friend loved it and so did DH and I.
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans or 1 (15 ounce) can navy beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 head garlic, cloves peeled and cut in half
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon bouquet garni
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 2 cups water
- 3 sliced onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all but onions, making sure the barley and lentils are well mixed. They will form the "body" of the dish and will pretty much disappear. I put it in the crock pot and cook overnight on low. You could also do it on high for about 3 hours or so.
- Before serving, slice onions and sauté in butter or oil on medium low heat til caramelized. Put beans in individual bowls and serve with a dollop of plain yogurt and the onions on top.
- I served this with cranberry chutney and naan bread on the side. Also good with rice.
- (You can use any kind of beans and you could also add corn, spinach, zucchini -- anything! The spice amounts are moderate and I usually double the turmeric and pepper flakes for more pizazz If I have any fresh herbs on hand, I throw them in too).