Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Make and share this Vegetarian Barley-Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 59.14 ml butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalk celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1892.0 ml water
- 453.59 g tomatoes, chopped
- 9.85 ml salt
- 4.92 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 2.46 ml ground black pepper
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 473.18 ml frozen green beans
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh dill weed
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until softened.
- Add water, tomatoes, salt, basil, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley.
- Lower heat and cover.
- Gently simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until barley is tender.
- Stir in frozen green beans during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from heat and stir in dill weed.
- Serve warm.
I added sliced mushrooms and diced red pepper to this recipe (I can't have barley without mushrooms!). I also used fresh basil and added fresh oregano leaves. Excellent! I'm staying away from MSG and was skeptical about this coming out well without vegetable broth but it is delicious... and even better the second day! One change: I think I might add undrained canned tomatoes next time to give some more tomatoey-ness to it... the pound of fresh I used didn't seem to be quite enough.
Excellent. Yummy, cheap, easy and I have tons of leftovers. Thanks for this, I'll make it again for sure.