Cook1 hr 30 mins
Make and share this Vegetarian Barley-Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 quarts water
- 1 lb tomato, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill weed
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until softened.
- Add water, tomatoes, salt, basil, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley.
- Lower heat and cover.
- Gently simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until barley is tender.
- Stir in frozen green beans during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove from heat and stir in dill weed.
- Serve warm.